A technical manager has three unique challenges when he moves from a technical profession to a management position:
- He has difficulties relating to the non-technical aspects of the business (e.g. people, customers, business, finance, etc.).
- Besides managing people, he needs to manage technology and align the systems to the business needs.
- He needs to leverage his technical expertise to bridge the needs of his customers, the organization and his staff.
This workshop is designed specifically for technical professionals who became managers. It will complement the modules taught in the â€œEssentials Management Skillsâ€ Workshop.
Intended Audience: Technical managers who are new to management and those with 1-3 years managerial experience will benefit most from this workshop.
Pre-requisites: Some management experience will be useful, but not essential.
At the end of the workshop, participants will be:
- Understand the unique role and challenges of a technical manager
- Understand how to motivate and manage a team of technical professionals
- Able to set goals and plans for the technical department both in business, expertise and technology.
- Able to communicate well to his customers, peers and his team using the appropriate communicate techniques
- Bridge the customers requirements with his teamâ€™s technical expertise via proper consulting techniques
- Articulate the benefits of his team, expertise and technology aligned to his customers requirements
- Management the teamâ€™s performance via a series of critical success factors.
- Introduction to Technical Management
- Challenges of a technical manager
- Planning and Goal Setting
- Managing Technical professionals
- Communication Skills
- Listening and questioning techniques
- Getting your points across
- Saying it simply
- Consulting Skills
- Understanding clientâ€™s needs
- Sizing up projects
- Aligning technology to customerâ€™s needs
- Sales Skills
- Generating leads
- Qualifying opportunities
- Articulating benefits
- Performance Measurement
Workshop Methodology: This fun-filled and dynamic workshop will be conducted with a good blend of instruction and discussions. Several case studies and real life examples will be discussed.
Duration: 2 Days